Sunday, September 29, 2013

The CrossFit Effect

In the 16 months since I last updated this blog I have undergone some major life renovations. I began working out again, and I continued to lose weight effortlessly, dropping another 20 lbs for a total of 30 lbs lost since I was first diagnosed with Systemic Sclerosis! I went back to my absolute passion, teaching dance! I teach ballet, contemporary, and hip hop 4 nights a week. My oldest is now in 1st grade, and my youngest is still at home with me during the day. They both take all boys hip hop (so cute!) And unfortunately, their dad and I are now separated, but the family is transitioning well. I haven't meant to ignore this blog, but life happened, and here I am again!


I was right about Gluten Free, Sclero Free. At my last follow up, my rheumatologist told me that technically, I no longer have Scleroderma! I have "Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease" with less than 10% chance of developing full blown Systemic Sclerosis. She has absolutely no context for why the gluten free diet has made such a drastic difference, but it has! I am now working toward a strict Paleo diet: grain free, dairy free, sugar free, hunter/gatherer... and I'll keep you updated on that journey as it unfolds.

So, what is the CrossFit Effect?!?  CrossFit has had such a positive impact on my life. Not just on the way my body looks and feels, but with my self-confidence as well. Getting through these crazy WODs (Workout of the Day) is making me feel as though I can do anything. Be anything. I am setting new goals all the time, and surpassing them consistently with life-changing personal records. But it is the community that has made all the difference. Having a place to go and be with like-minded people, lifting heavy weights and pushing our bodies to their limits and beyond, becoming elite athletes together, with team work and a healthy competitive atmosphere. I've never come across anything like it. It has truly changed my life. I'll talk more about CrossFit and its amazing benefits in my upcoming posts. In the meantime, find a CrossFit Affiliate near you! You won't regret it!!!

I am so excited to be blogging again! Please be sure to read my previous posts explaining Scleroderma and why I chose to go Gluten Free. I believe these results are possible for everyone, and not specific to me. I want to spread the word that we don't have to live in fear of Systemic Sclerosis. We really can make Scleroderma Look Good!

Bon Courage!

No comments:

Post a Comment